Find out about the causes of Halitosis and how to get rid of it!
Did you know that 1 in 10 people suffer from chronic halitosis, which in turn interferes with their ability to enjoy their personal and professional life?
Bad breath is no modern dilemma. However, many individuals who suffer from halitosis are unaware of it and therefore leave it untreated until someone has the courage to tell them about it. If this is your case, you don’t need to bare the embarrassment anymore. Our caring dental staff near Burbank will find the cause of your bad breath in order to develop the best and fastest treatment and cure it for good!
Commonly, halitosis persists regardless of the use of constant masking substances such as, mouthwashes, flavoring agents, chewing gum, masking spays and mints. The expertise of our dentists near Burbank will enable us to administer a successful treatment based on the specific reasons that are causing your bad breath condition.
What causes halitosis?
Halitosis is a condition that exhibits a multifactorial etiology and therefore can be caused by numerous factors.
1. Extra-Oral causes of halitosis: Bad breath can be a symptom of a serious disease. This is why it is imperative to contact our professional dental office which is knowledgeable about all the possible pathologies that can cause oral malodors. Halitosis may be caused by:
- Disorders in the upper/lower respiratory tract
- Gastrointestinal conditions
- Neurologic disorders
- Systemic diseases
- Intake of specific drugs or medications
- Functional conditions
2. Intra-Oral causes of halitosis: Studies have shown that 85% to 95% of all the cases of halitosis are caused by an intra-oral condition such as the ability to retain bacteria and food within the oral cavity, mainly the teeth and the tongue. Thus, here are some of the most common causes of intra-oral halitosis:
- Dry mouth
- Denture wearing
- Food retention
- Poor oral hygiene
- Hairy tongue
A proper diagnosis is made after oral examinations are performed and the patient’s oral history is clearly addressed. If there is a negative medical history, then we can begin treating your halitosis. Depending on your particular case, our dentists near Burbank will treat your bad breath by:
- Improving your oral hygiene techniques.
- Curing and controlling for periodontal diseases
- Performing all necessary restorative care.
- Recommending a diet to increase salivary flow.
- Providing special home care instructions for patients wearing dentures.
- Recommending Breathasure which successfully controls the bad odors caused by eating spicy foods (containing onion and garlic).
- Giving special oral hygiene instructions to patients wearing removable orthodontic appliances.
Bad breath is a real and common problem that affects 25 million of Americans. Stop covering your mouth when speaking and get rid of the embarrassment that causes bad breath. You don’t need to spend money every week and become a slave of mouthwashes and deodorizing sprays. These will only mask your bad breath temporarily and may have adverse side effects. Get a real, safe and permanent solution for your halitosis now!